Genjuuan TempleHakata Area
Built in 1336, Genjuuan was opened by Muin Genkai. The temple was formerly located in Maidashi Village, Naka District (today’s Maidashi, Higashi Ward), but was destroyed by war during the Tensho (Momoyama) period (1573-1591). It was rebuilt in 1646 at its current location by Sohaku, son of the wealthy Hakata merchant Soku Oga. The graves of the father and son are found on the temple grounds. During the Bunka-Bunsei period of late Edo (1804-1830), a prominent monk of Shofuku-ji Temple, Sengai Osho, quietly retired to Kyohaku-in, part of the Genjuuan complex.
*Genjuuan Temple is not available to visitors.