Zendoji TempleHakata Area
According to legend, Zendoji was built in 1212 by Chinzei Shoko Shonin, the second patriarch of the Pure Land Buddhism Chinzei branch with the statue of influential Pure Land writer Shandao at its heart. However, according to the Chikuzen no Kuni Shokufudoki book, it was built after the reconstruction of Zendoji in the province of Chikuｇo, in 1477. It became an imperial temple of worship under Emperor Go-Tsuchimikado (1465-1500). The statues of Shandao and Chinzei Shonin, the large bell and the Moko-ikari stone are designated cultural treasures of Fukuoka Prefecture.