Iimori ShrineWest, Itoshima Area
This shrine dedicated to 3 gods as the grand shrine of old 7 municipalities in Sawara-ku. It once consisted of three different shrines and each its own shrine status and the whole Iikura Mountain were considered holy sites. The shrine used to own a vast area around mountain with over 300 towns. The mountain was the site where a piece of ancient stone scripture tablet was excavated in 1144, and also where a famous battle took place between rebel forces and the government. The main hall of the shrine (designated cultural property of the city) was founded in 1650. The shrine is also known to possess stone statues of guardian dogs carved in ancient Chinese style (designated cultural property of the prefecture) and an ancient document explaining the origin of the shrine.
As the remains from the age of Shinto-Buddhism fusion, the monjyu bosatsu (designated cultural property of the city) is housed in the “Iimori Shrine Monjyudo”.