Engaku-ji TempleHakata Area
【Notice】Regarding to the pre-emergency measures has been lifted in Fukuoka from 2 August to 31 August 2021. Some events and stores, facilities may be cancelled, temporarily closed or shorten business hours. Before visiting, please check the official website or contact directly for further information.
◎Please Click here for the information of COVID-19 from Fukuoka City
Engaku-ji Temple was built in 1246 at Yaguramon (present-day Gionmachi) by Hojo Tokiyori, fifth regent of the Kamakura shogunate to mark the arrival of Buddhist monk Lanxi Daolong (known posthumously as Dajue Zen Master) from Song China. However, all of the temple buildings were burnt down during the war-torn period.
In 1636, its base was moved to the grounds of Shofukuji Temple and was rebuilt, becoming a monastry for the temple.
The wisdom of the Nampo-roku, a book of secret teachings of the tea master Sen no Rikyu, was passed down at Engaku-ji, based on an initial copy made by Tachibana Jitsuzan of the Fukuoka Domain. Engaku-ji is known for its Nampo style of tea and its Zen training hall.